Why is a login process not embedded in RVMediaServer?

RVMedia support and discussion (components for displaying and controlling IP cameras, webcams, video conferencing, video chats, recording audio and video files)
DeerBear

Why is a login process not embedded in RVMediaServer?

Post by DeerBear »

Hello!

It wouldn't really require lots of code to do for the author.

All he needs to add is:

* A "RequiresLogin" property
* A "OnLoginAttempt" event
* A "OnCreateUser" event

The code behind these can be taken straight from the samples and integrated.

A[/list]
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

Information about user accounts needs to be stored somewhere, even when the server is not running.
Currently, we prefer not to embed database functionality in the server components.
You can implement a login process yourself, see the demos in Demos\ClientServer\Login

PS: in the next version of RVMedia, a password protection will be added to groups (i.e. chat rooms) in the server/
DeerBear

Post by DeerBear »

Nah, you simply need to provide a login attempt event such as this:

Type
TMVLoginAttemptEvent = procedure( Sender: TRVServer; UserName, Password: String;var AllowLogin: Boolean );

This is all that is needed for a start.

Another option, which would be cooler but much more code-intensive, would be to encrypt the credentials before they're sent. If you want I can give that a spin and let you have a tentative implementation.

A
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Adding the event is not a problem.
A problem is in limiting activity of unlogged clients.
DeerBear

Post by DeerBear »

I wouldn't have thought so.
If login is refused, a GUID won't be set, and if the client requires login, that is necessary. Also, there won't be any session, so that could be used on the server.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

GUID is not assigned by the server, it is generated on the client, and client includes its id in each sent data packet.
There are many problems to implement a full-functional authorization. For example, UDP server does not have a permanent connection. In TCP server, several connections are established, and some of them can be automatically reconnected if broken, so sometimes re-authorization may be necessary.

I understand that this is an important feature, but currently we have more high-priority tasks to complete, sorry. When it will be implemented, it will be implemented in a good way, implementing a quick-and-dirty solution is a waste of time, I believe.
DeerBear

Post by DeerBear »

Can you give me an approximate time-frame?

Something like "Fall" or "Next year" will do, I just need to have a rough timing.

A
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Sorry, I cannot. Currently, we a porting RVMedia for FireMonkey.
When we complete it, we can think about authorization. Although, there are more interesting features to implement, such as ONVIF support
DeerBear

Post by DeerBear »

Interesting and important are two entirely different things.
Authorization is important, very important.

So important, in fact, that I will be obliged to evaluate other SDKs before I have even written a line using yours, because - come on - your priorities are clearly misplaced.

Please give me a knock when you come back to your senses.

Thanks.