Capturing video and audio from HDMI/USB device

RVMedia support and discussion (components for displaying and controlling IP cameras, webcams, video conferencing, video chats, recording audio and video files)
cjb

Capturing video and audio from HDMI/USB device

Post by cjb »

Hi,

I have a Magewell HDMI capture device that runs on USB3 and I would like to simply play the captured video and audio in a simple app.

I can see from the demos how the video stream can easily be played, but what about the audio stream? Do I need a TRVMicrophone to connect to the audio stream, and if so, how can that audio be played locally on the PC like the video is?

Thanks
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

I believe this device is available in the list of audio capture devices. In this case, TRVMicrophone can read sound from it.
However, we do not have a component to play sound from it locally (somehow we did not think about it).
We will try to find a solution. However, I am not sure that the quality will be good, our components are not designed to work with such kind of devices.
cjb

Post by cjb »

Yes, it presents to Windows exactly like a standard webcam with a video and audio capture device. So I believe it's the same issue as playing audio from a webcam microphone which is another case that would be great to have a solution for too.

I hope you are able to get something working for local audio playback from TRVMicrophone. Thanks
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

We discussed this problem and decided that the best solution would be adding a new component that could be connected to TRVMicrophone and play sound from it on the specified audio output device. It will be called TRVAudioPlayer
I hope we will release this update soon, in a week or two.
cjb

Post by cjb »

This sounds excellent... I am very excited about using RVMedia for our application!

Thanks
ijbranch

Monitoring Audio as well as Video

Post by ijbranch »

I can use this functionality also.
I am trying to monitor the audio from an IP Security Cam. Haven't figured out how to get the audio from the IP camera yet but will need to 'play' it once I have.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Receiving audio from IP cameras is a separate task. I believe that this camera is not available as an "audio input" device on the computer.
Unfortunately, RVMedia does not allow receiving sound from IP cameras yet.
ijbranch

Post by ijbranch »

HI Sergey,
Noted. Look forward to the 'yet' becoming 'now'...;-)
Ian
cjb

Post by cjb »

Hi Sergey,

Just wondering if there is any progress with your proposed 'TRVAudioPlayer'?

I'm keen to test when it's available...

Thanks.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

As soon as possible. We are planning to add two new features in the next update - audio player and video recording using FFmpeg