TRVOfficeConverter

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
pruettm

TRVOfficeConverter

Post by pruettm »

I have an application that allows a user to load MS Word Documents and displays them to a user.

It's not guaranteed that these users will have Microsoft Word installed on their computers. I was hoping that I can import them using the TRVOfficeConverter component and convert the .DOC and .DOCX files to an RTF.

This seems to work just fine on a workstation that already has Word installed, but the import fails when I test on a machine with just the converters downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... .aspx?id=3 but the conversion still fails.

The document I was testing was a simple word .Doc file save from from an instance of Word 2012.
pruettm

Post by pruettm »

Minor edit: It was a word 2013 document saved as word 2003 format.

Is this a known bug? I was hoping this was a minor issue with an easy fix.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

This download includes only converters for DocX import. They do not include Doc import.
Previously, Microsoft provided Doc import converters for free downloading, but now they removed this download.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

If the converter cannot load DocX file, please send it to me, I'll test it.
pruettm

Post by pruettm »

That's unfortunate. Our clients primarily use .DOC files.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

It looks like these converters are still available for downloading:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/162214
But this installer works only in WinXP and older, and only if ancient versions of MS Word is installed.
Well, theoretically, it's possible to find converter's dll in the Internet and install it manually by adding the converter's records to the Registry.
Contras:
- I'm not sure how it conforms to their license
- you will be lucky if you find a virus-free version
- as far as I remember, the converters were removed originally because of security vulnerability