RVAction Hints

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
clarktechinc

RVAction Hints

Post by clarktechinc »

Due to space constraints, I am unable to include a statusbar on my form with a RichviewEdit. As a consequence, none of the hints for my toolbar buttons with assigned rvActions are shown. Hints for my other toolbar buttons without Actions assigned do appear as expected. How can I cause the buttons with assigned rvActions to appear with "normal" hints?
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Re: RVAction Hints

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

All our RichViewActions use standard hints, the same hints as other components.
To show tooltip windows, make sure that ShowHint properties of all toolbar buttons = True.
(you can set Form.ShowHint = True; by default, ParentShowHint = True for all controls, and they use ShowHint property of the parent form).

A full hint consists of two parts, a short hint and a long hint.
For example, if Hint = 'New|Creates a new document':
- the short hint is 'New', it is displayed in tooltips.
- the long hint is 'Creates a new document'.
A short hint is shown on a tooltip, without additional code, if ShowHint of the button = True.
Showing a long hint requires additional code, it is usually shown in a status bar. But there are alternative solutions. For example, look how Edge browser shows URLs when you move the mouse pointer to a hyperlink. It displays a small label at the bottom left corner of the browser. It is visible only when it has something to show. You can display long hints in the same way, using Application.OnHint event.
clarktechinc

Post by clarktechinc »

When examining the ActionList supplied in the source datamodules (dmActions, dmActionsAlpha) the only rvAction that includes a hint is rvActionColor. All other rvActions do not include any hint properties. As expected, rvActionColor displays the hint. Obviously the others will not show a hint as their hint property is blank. Is there another source of rvactions that include the hints?

The RVActions demos that use a statusbar do indeed show the full rvActions hints so there must be some difference when using a StatusBar and when not. I'm missing something.

Attached is a simple project that demonstrates the issue.
Attachments
ActionsHintsTest.zip
(22.11 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Initially, all actions from RichViewActions have temporal Caption and Hint.
To assign the proper captions and hints, call
RVA_LocalizeForm(<form or datamodule, containing the actions>);
In your example, call

Code: Select all

RVA_LocalizeForm(rvActionsResource)
in FormCreate or FormShow.
clarktechinc

Post by clarktechinc »

That's it! Once I put "RVA_LocalizeForm(myDataModule);" into the DataModule OnCreate event the rvAction button hints now appear as expected. I had applied the LocalizeForm(myForm) into the myForm's OnCreate event but that did not expose the button hints. Thanks for the clarification.
Shankles

Post by Shankles »

Hi Sergey, is it possible to completely turn off the Hints? Or is that not a good idea?
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

You can assign ShowHint property = False for your form. Since, normally, all controls inherit value of this property from its parent control (their ParentShowHint = True), this assignment turns offs displaying popup hints.