fastest way to "fill" a RichViewEdit

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
David.Brenner

fastest way to "fill" a RichViewEdit

Post by David.Brenner »

Hi.
I want to "fill" a RichViewEdit with text from another RichViewEdit until it has maximum height but without exceeding the height of the window (of the first RichViewEdit).

I do this:

Code: Select all

var Stream: TStream;
i: Integer;
begin
   Rve1.BeginUpdate;
   Rve1.UndoLimit := 0;
   Rve2.BeginUpdate;
   while True do
   begin
      Stream.Clear;
      //copy the text from the second RichViewEdit
      Rve2.SetSelectionBounds(Item1, Offs1, Item2, Offs2);  
      Rve2.SaveRVFToStream(Stream, True);
      //load the text in the first RichViewEdit
      Stream.Position := 0;
      Rve1.Clear;
      Rve1.DeleteUnusedStyles(True, True, True);
      Rve1.LoadRVFFromStream(Stream);
      //I increase the size of the text
      for i := 0 to Rve1.Style.TextStyles.Count - 1 do
         Rev1.Style.TextStyles[i].Size := Round(1.5 * Rve1.Style.TextStyles[i].Size);
      Rve1.Format;
      if (Rve1.DocumentHeight >= Rve1.Height) or (//no more text to add) then
         Break;
      //here I decrease Item1/Offs1 and I increase Item2/Offs2 (with the same "step")
   end;
   Rve1.EndUpdate;
   Rve1.UndoLimit := -1;
   Rve2.EndUpdate;
end;
The problem is that is kind of slow (15..20 sec in average on fast computers). But I need to be as fast as possible (under 1 sec on slow computers).
One way is to increase the size of the "step" (how much I decrease Item1/Offs1 and increase Item2/Offs2). But I can't increase it much because the result will not be so "accurate".
Another way is to use a method called "double and/or half of the interval": first I double the "step" until Rve1.DocumentHeight > Rve1.Height. Then I use the interval between the previous value and the current value: I "chop" it into 2 until I found the best value possible.
It helped, but just a little.

Maybe someone knows a better way...
Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards, David Brenner
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how a text size affects size of arbitrary document.
I can suggest to move the document loading outside the cycle, store the original values text sizes in some list or a dynamic array.
In the cycle, call only a text size changing and Format.
But I am afraid that Format is the slowest part here...
David.Brenner

Post by David.Brenner »

Thank you for your suggestion but the document is from the user's computer so I can't generate them and store them without making him wait a very long time.
Or do you talk about something else...?

I just noticed something: if I use CopyRVF and PasteRVF instead of SaveRVFToStream and LoadRVFFromStream it works 27% faster.
I wonder why...
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

May be you use TMemoryStream?
Use TRVMemoryStream instead (RVClasses.pas). It's faster.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

As I understand, you save and load the same document inside cycle. It will be faster if you do it one time before the cycle.
David.Brenner

Post by David.Brenner »

With TRVMemoryStream is only 13% faster.
And I don't load and save the same document in Rve1 because Item1, Offs1, Item2, Offs2 are changing inside the cycle so it's a different text every time. More, they are changing when another document is loaded or when the user is choosing another "portion" of the document.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Do RVE2 and RVE1 have the same width?
If yes, you can use item coordinates in RVE2.
David.Brenner

Post by David.Brenner »

Unfortunately they don't.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Well, you can format Rve1 with a large part of a document, more than Rve1.Height.
Then you can use item coordinates to calculate the necessary part, see http://www.trichview.com/help/idh_trich ... rdsex.html
David.Brenner

Post by David.Brenner »

Yes, this could work faster :)
Thank you.
I will test.

PS: I just noticed that Format is not the slowest but SaveRVFToStream and LoadRVFFromStream are (over 90%). How did I noticed: in editor I erased half of the text and tried the function. Same time. With the previous text size I erased again half, saved the file, reloaded; this time the function was about a few times faster. So I checked and indeed SaveRVFToStream and LoadRVFFromStream are very slow on big texts.
On a 360 pages text I selected a few items, I used SaveRVFToStream and then I saved the content of the stream directly in a file: 808 096 bytes.
I erased half of it (not the part where these items are), saved and reloaded; I selected exactly the same items, used SaveRVFToStream and saved again the content in a file: 104 769 bytes.
Why this difference, since when I look directly at the text in a RichViewEdit I don't see any difference?
With SaveRTFToStream and LoadRTFFromStream I get 2047 and 2048 bytes. The files are basically the same.
But with these functions something isn't working well and I get less text in Rve1.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Probably, document contains too many unused styles, and they are removed by DeleteUnusedStyles.