Spacing between characters...

ScaleRichView support and discussion (TRichView add-on for WYSIWYG editing)
jnap

Spacing between characters...

Post by jnap »

Hi,

Using TScaleRichViewEdit I notice slight spaces between certain characters.

eg: This is a test message... (appears as) - This is a test me ss age

The spacing is not as apparant as the above spacing and is only slight but is enough to make one think they are seperate words.

Is this by design, a bug or something I have not set? I see this in the Demo projects also.

I am hoping you can give me some more information on this.

Many thanks

jnap
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

This is a result of scaling (rounding off errors).
It cannot be fixed, sorry.
jnap

Post by jnap »

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I will have to switch back to TRichViewEdit for this project.

jnap
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

Should the spacing irregularities also be noticeable when I print the document at 600 dpi?

That´s what I am doing now:
First I draw the page, using the drawpage method on a metafile Canvas (Canvas := TMetaFileCanvas.Create(MetaFile, Printer.Handle)), and display the page. If the user confirms that the page is correct, I print it by drawing it on the printer canvas.

How the words are displayed on the screen is not important. The problem is that the positioning errors are also easily noticeable on the printed page. Is this the expected behaviour?

All the best,

Alexandre
proxy3d
ScaleRichView Developer

Post by proxy3d »

For document viewing before the printing, it is better to you to use SRVPreview.

You have this problem at the printing? I am not assured but, at increase in scale of this problem should not be, because the rounding off error meets on smaller scale.
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

Thanks for the information.

In my case, unfortunately, I can not use SRVPreview because, in addition to the document page, I draw several labels on the canvas, and I filter the metafile, so that some comments, that are part of the document, are not printed.

By the way, to help me find out what is the problem when I use metafiles, does ScaleRichView draw the text character by character or word by word? Does RichView do the same?

All the best,

Alexandre
proxy3d
ScaleRichView Developer

Post by proxy3d »

You can use SRVPreview. For a draw labels you can use SRV.OnPaint. Use parameter "Printing" for mode definition (in the editor or on the print). For comments, we can use component SRVLabel. At SRVLabel property DrawOnPrint, describing to draw SRVLabel on the print or not.

At use metafile you will have problems on monitors with the wide screen. Sorry, it is problem Windows. It it is not correct to draw the text on metafile created on these monitors.
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

Thanks for the suggestions.

In any case, the preview is working well enough - the spacing errors are not important at this stage. I have not had any problems related to the use of metafiles, even when the monitor is widescreen, perhaps because I use the printer handle to create the metafiles.

I have, however, been asked again regarding the letter spacing on the printed copy. I have checked, and the errors are there even if I print the document directly - i.e., if I do not use metafiles. Is there a way to minimize the rounding errors? TRichViewEdit prints the document perfectly.

All the best,

Alexandre
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

We have changed a text scaling procedure, it is much better now. After some more tests, a new version will be uploaded for registered users.
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

Something that may help: the position where the menu is shown has to do with the position of the TRichView component the TScaleRichView is linked to. (By the way, there are two TRichView components on the form).

Edit: The program version shows 2.4.1. As I said, the only file that has been changed is RVUni.pas.
Last edited by palmeira on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Sorry, I do not understand about menus
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

When I said menu, I meant the pop-up menu that is shown when I right click on TSRichView. (The same menu that shows a list of suggestions when the word is misspelled).
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

This topic was about character spacing, so I do not understand its connection to menus...
palmeira

Post by palmeira »

Sorry. Posted on the wrong topic.