Tooltip shadow residue on editor

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
mbailey

Tooltip shadow residue on editor

Post by mbailey »

Hi,

In my application I have a toolbar above my RTF editor which
displays a tootip hint as the mouse hovers over a button.

On occasions (often) when the tooltip disappears it leaves the
drop shadow of the tooltip behind and I can find no way to remove
it other than exiting the application completely.

Has anyone seen this problem before and if so can someone
please suggest a solution please.

Cheers,
Mark Bailey
Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Mark,

I don't really have a solution, but since nobody answered in several days, here goes.

I confess that I didn't fully understand what "drop shadow" you are describing. Do you mean that when the tooltip rectangle (or whatever shape it is) goes away, it leaves a white non-repainted area where it used to be? Or are you talking about some fancy tooltips that cast shadows onto their background when they are displayed - and that "real" shadow remains when they are gone? I don't remember ever seeing such tooltips, maybe it's an XP or later thing or something. Anyway, this is just for my own better understanding.

Regardless of which type of shadow we're talking about, this sounds like something that could be at least in part caused by display drivers.

To narrow it down, I'd try:

I imagine the shadows remain on the surface of the RichView. Unless RV uses some oversized virtual canvas, which I doubt, the shadows/corruption should go away if you scroll it off-screen in RV and then scroll back. Or perform something else that will Invalidate() or Update() it. If the shadows remain even then, I'm at a loss, but this would be quite interesting.

You could also try to switch video drivers or try your app on a machine with different ones or something along these lines.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...

Michel
mbailey

Post by mbailey »

Hi Michel,

Thanx for the reply.

After further investigation I found the problem only happened when the Font select dropdown or the Font Size dropdown was invoked from the Toolbar.

Whith the dropdowns displayed if you have the mouse over the drop button then a tooltip hint is displayed. If you select a font or size or move of the drop list while the tooltip is displayed it affects the tip when it turns off.

The tooltip turns off but the shadow that was around the right and bottom sides of the tooltip remains.

So, to get around the problem I have set ShowHint := FALSE for these two Toolbar items.

I thought about it being a graphics card issue but since I have been able to recreate it on three machines I am not so sure.

Anyway, I can live with the fix but it is still a bit of a mystery.

Thanx again.

Cheers,
Mark
Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Mark,

Glad you found a workaround! In general, I believe that tooltips are "special" (much like menus and some dialog/message boxes): it is the tooltip window that is responsible for saving and restoring whatever it covers. This is in contrast to normal windows that go away and say "whoever I messed up: repaint yourselves!". From your more detailed description, I'm getting the impression that perhaps the tooltip only refreshes the dropdown that is directly beneath it (in the windows z-order) or gets confused by it in some similar fashion. And no, it no longer sounds like video card/driver issue...
You could perhaps refresh the RichView after the tooltip disappears if there's a convenient event for this... Or just leave it as is. Anyway, I just wanted to "get this off my chest". :)

Take care,

Michel