Gnostice RichView Export interface

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
alanmcd

Gnostice RichView Export interface

Post by alanmcd »

I've just upgraded to V10. I am also using gnostice and the export interface.
I've noticed that while rendering the document for some printers (both my HP Laser and Photosmart) on screen appears fine and print fine. The saving of the document as a pdf via the export interface, however, is not correct. Some text e.g. a bold word in amongst some non bold text, runs too far into the start of the adjacent non-bold word. A paragrpaph of bold text gets clipped down the right hand margin (with RVPrint ClipMargins on) or runs off the page (with RVPrint ClipMargins off). But the preview and printed output of the same document is fine.
I've raised a support question with gnostice on this. I was just wondering if you have received other questions on this topic?
I never used gnostice with the 1.9 version of RV so I can't compare what might have happened.
If I switch to some other printer (e.g. PDFCreator, or say a Winfax printer driver) the document rendering matches screen preview and is quite correct throughout.
Alan
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

This is the Gnostice reply:
Hello Alan,

We would like to mention that the problem seems to be 'RVPrint' and its
corresponding printer settings. We request you contact TRichView support
team to get this report file previewed correctly using 'RVPrintPreview', so
that it can be properly rendered to PDF file by eDocEngine.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

OK - RVPrint.PreviewCorrection property is not documented.
But if I set it to False, the preview and printing of the document is the same as the gnostice rendering (i.e. the margins are clipped because the formatting of the font is incorrect, bold text overruns adjacent non-bold text etc).
If I set it to True, the preview and printing is correct but the gnostice rendering is incorrect. So there's something happening which prevents the gnostice rendering from picking up the PreviewCorrection changes.
Put another way, the gnostice rendering takes place as if the setting is PreviewCorrection.False even when it's set to True.
Does that make sense?
Alan
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

Actually, eDocEngine export for TRichView was implemented by Gnostice, I do not know details of implementation. But I suspect they use TRVReportHelper, not TRVPrint.
I'll check this problem in this week.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

BTW, this property is documented.
It adjusts text width in preview by changing intercharacter spacing.
It is useful when displaying page on canvas that has different resolution/zooming factor than the canvas where the document was formatted.
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

Thanks Sergey, I'll wait patiently on your review. I'd like to get this sorted ASAP.
BTW here's my help file of march 08

So sorry - I was looking in the component list but it's in CustomRVPrint.

Anyway - the upgraded color component icons I see in the help file (chm)... am I supposed to see these in the version 10 install or are they in the help file only and not the resource for the delphi pallette? Just asking to check if my install was OK.
Alan[/img]
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

Sergey,
They offer both methods:

Code: Select all

procedure RenderDocument(ARVPrint: TRVPrint; IsFormatted: Boolean); overload;
procedure RenderDocument(ARVHelper: TRVReportHelper); overload;
But it seems to me from looking at their source that they need to make the call to FormatPages after they assign the new context (Engine.Canvas) and not before, which is the way they do it. Either taht or there has to be some way to formatting the document for the engine.canvas like what happens when you change the printer setup... no?
Alan[/code]
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

PreviewCorrection is described in the topic about TCustomRVPrint, ancestor of TRVPrint.
These icons are used for Delphi 2005-2007.
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

Gnostice support have asked for a demo app. I hope you don't mind, I've added the gnostice render call to your Editor1 Delphi sample app and sent that to them.
It clearly shows the output rendering is different from printer to printer (text overrunning).
Alan
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

I have been testing all this with RVReportHelper instead of RVPrint. It works better, but of course the canvas object is different and so the margins and footer header setup is more complicated. I'd rather use the RVPrint to do it.
I still can't work out why the rendering of the RVPrint object to pdf is not obeying the formatting as per the preview.
Have you had a chance to look at this Sergey?
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

Sergey,
Gnostice have just sent me a couple of files which fixes this. It makes a big difference. I see many other posts here with a similar issue where bold text runs into non-bold text which follows it and wrapping issues and margin clipping.
It's all fixed. Hopefully Gnostice get the fix out generally quite quickly.
Alan