Docx and Doc

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
jgkoehn

Docx and Doc

Post by jgkoehn »

Greetings,
I use docx import but also realized that the previous version had .doc for the Microsoft Word filename. Is it possible to add to the next update to include the filename ending of .doc. I will add it to my TRichView but it would be nice if it was included as part of the TRichView rvActionOpen1.Execute code.
Thanks!
jgkoehn

Re: Docx and Doc

Post by jgkoehn »

Nevermind I see that .doc is different and does not work. I withdraw my request.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

DOC is an old format of MS Word (used before 2007), DocX is a new format of MS Word.

TRichView can load and save DocX without additional libraries. But it cannot load DOC. And it is not planned, sorry. I believe it does not make sense to support an ancient format that is a proprietary closed format and does not have a public specification.

Is it still possible to load DOC files in TRichView?
Yes, in VCL and LCL version (not in FMX).
TRVOfficeConverter component can use converters that load DOC files. This is an obsolete technology, but it still works.
The converters were available on the Microsoft web site, but now they are removed from there, but you can download them here: https://www.trichview.com/resources/thi ... erters.exe

If converters are available, RichViewActions use them automatically (Insert | File menu).

Unfortunately, a quality of conversion is not very good, many text and paragraph attributes are lost. So I highly recommend to convert DOC files to DocX instead.
jgkoehn

Post by jgkoehn »

Greetings Sergey,
Thank you for answering the question. I agree with you doc is out of date. Also it is easy to load in MS Word then convert to docx.
Thank you sir