Compiled Demo/font appearance

ScaleRichView support and discussion (TRichView add-on for WYSIWYG editing)
didiergm

Compiled Demo/font appearance

Post by didiergm »

Hello,

I have got 2 questions:

Have progresses been made regarding the appearance of the fonts (I tried the precompiled demo on my laptop (running XP) a couple of days ago and The look of the font was awful (bad kerning, wrong size of font etc...) which is a shame because the component looks very exciting. I found a topic on this subject dating back one month but no update since.

Does the compiled demo uses the latest version of the component ?

Didier
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

No news is bad news or developer too busy ??? :)

Didier
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

The current compiled version uses ScaleRichView 1.3.1
No, scaling is the same, this is not a simple change to make. It is planned for future, but not very near.
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

Sergey, thanks for your answer.
Considering the overall quality of your product, I could not believe how ugly the display was, so I downloaded the test scale rich view on my development machine which has 2 screens. (Note that I am running inside VmWare)

and the results are:

if vmware is on my main screen which is a 1024*768 the display is a bit sluggish, but really nice (ie everything is perfect, no distortion, no kerning issues, any font I tried looks as it should)

now if I move to my secondary display which is a 1440*900 (wide screen, as on any modern 17" laptop display) then the display is all distorted and barely usable. If on that second screen I resize the VM display to a more square size, then the display become fine again.

I though I should share this, in case this gives a clue to the developer as it could be "as simple as" properly handling the screen ratio. Hope this helps

Didier

Didier
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Please send me a screenshot of bad display.
On my computer, ScaleRichView looks ok.
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

Sergey,

Done via email

Didier
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

I received it and forwarded to proxy3d
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Does TRVPrintPreview look ok on these VMWare widescreen?
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

I have tested TRVPrintPreview and TScaleRichView in vmware running Win2000 and XP and the results are the same

TRVPrintPreview: always perfect

TScaleRichView : good if I force the screen size to 1024*768, 800*600, 1600*1200

but If I go full screen (on a 17" wide 1440*900, inside vmware due to menu, borders etc .... you get 1428*775, odd sizes but that's what I get.) the results are as they look on the screenshot.

in fact doing more testing seems that if I do not select a screen resolution with a ratio of 1 height to 3/4 width, then the display is bad. it also seems to be worse if one of the dimensions is odd (I mean as opposed to even, not bizarre :) )

If, for "fun" you resize to a very narrow screen then the font on scalerichview is distorted vertically, whilst Windows system fonts and TRVPrintPreview are fine

Hope this helps, if I can do anymore testing, or if you want me to test a new release I'll be happy to help

Didier
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Ilya has sent me a new beta of ScaleRichView.
It has a really fast redrawing, and better scaling quality.
When it will be ready for testing, we will let you know.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

New compiled demo and trial are uploaded.
While this issue was not targeted specially, the new update has a new redrawing method, so please retest it.
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

The new demo is much nicer and faster, nice one.

That being said, the scaling issue is still present to a certain extent.

I will try to explain what I /think/ happens.

lt looks like the scaleRichView always attempts to scale it's display, even when it is not necessary. This is very obvious in pagewidth mode where the page tries to use 100% of the window width. if you enlarge your screen, maximise the window then the font display is wrong (elarged font, bad kerning etc...)

In 100% zoom mode. things are better: Everything is fine (ie the page does not rescale and only the left and right blue margins get enlarged or reduced. But this works only to a certain extent. If the screen becomes physically too wide or too narrow then the scaling occurs, which is not I what would expect.

Note that is is possible to get back to a better display by forcing a rescale, passing from 100% to pagewidth and then 100% again. It often clears the problem or at least largely minimise it.

Hope this helps

Didier
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

I think I have finally found a simple way to explain what I want to say. It downed on me when using firefox and enlarging it's window.

When you resize the window, the text should not be resized. it should resize ONLY when you ask it to be resized (ie changing the zoom factor. The zoonm factor is not a function of the window size, it is a function of the document you're trying to display.

Hope this is clear(er) now.

Didier
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

But I believe in components displaying scaled text, it is always scaled. They do not have two drawing functions, one for scaled text and one for 100% zoom.
didiergm

Post by didiergm »

you could well be right, but the effect on screen is not good, which is a shame considering what this add-on could provide (wysiwig typing etc....) and the obvious quality and work put into this development.

It depends what you're trying to achieve: an infinitely scaling component, which has it's use (and it currently does exactly that) or more of a wisywig layer on top of trichview. In the later case there is some work to be done in the scaling routines. (may be simply stop the scaling when not asked for, and make sure that the scaling result remains within reasonable boundaries ie as long as the aspect ratio of the page is not altered).

just a though

Didier