RichViewActions components not on Lazarus palette

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
PaccDB

RichViewActions components not on Lazarus palette

Post by PaccDB »

I've recently installed the TRichView/ScaleRichView/RichViewActions components. I've been working through the demo's and the online help files (which have all been excellent. Thank you for those!) I should note this is using Lazarus 2.2.6, and FPC 3.2.2.

However, I'm now trying to build my own versions of the demos so I can understand how they work better, and not finding some RichViewActions components on the component palettes. Specifically the TRVAControlPanel, and TRVAPopupMenu components right now. I've verified they are installed, and I can see the icons on the form in the demos. I can even copy the component from a demo project into my own, so I know they're there. But I'm not seeing them to be selected off the component palette.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that by design? That is, are they not part of the tools palettes for some reason?

Thank you!!
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Re: RichViewActions components not on Lazarus palette

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

TRichView does not have automatic installation in Lazarus.
You need to to it manually.
It is explained in ReadMe.chm in TRichView folder.
Installing in Lazarus

The Setup cannot install the components in Lazarus automatically. Please install them manually.

First time install

Activate project groups in Lazarus.

Open <TRichView Dir>\TRichViewLazarus.lpg.

Compile all packages in this project group.

Open all *_dsgn packages in this group, one by one (double click their names in the project group window). For each package, click "Use | Install" in the package window. Until the last package, answer "No" when Lazarus asks to rebuild itself. For the last package, answer "Yes".

Alternative way: after compiling all packages in the project group, click the menu item "Package | Install/Uninstall Packages...". In the dialog box, type "rv" in the "Available for the installation" edit box. You should see all TRichView design-time packages in the list (their names start from "rv"). Select them one by one and click "Install selection" button for each package. Finally, click "Save and rebuild IDE".

Updating

If the update includes new packages to install, repeat the steps in the "first time install", but Install only new packages.

If the update does not include new packages, simply rebuild Lazarus using "Tools | Build Lazarus with Profile: ***".
ScaleRichView also have a project group, ScaleRichViewLazarus.lpg.
PaccDB

Post by PaccDB »

My apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm new to Lazarus. I installed all the packages individually before posting--but I didn't know about project groups. However, installing them all from the project groups doesn't seem to have made a difference. Almost everything installs, expect the action controls. I've removed and reinstalled rvrichviewactionslaz_dsgn.lpk several times now, and the Action controls don't show on any of the palettes. (I've searched them from the 'View All' option--but it would be good to know where they should be--quicker anyhow.)

The next step I'm going to do is to uninstall everything, and then make a new install attempt using the project groups from the start. If I have to, I can still manually update the LFM file to add the component, or just use your demo as a base, but that seems... cheating... in a way. :oops:

Is there anything I'm missing, or that I should try other than the complete reinstall?
standay

Post by standay »

I don't use lazarus, but I've had similar problems before in delphi (not with rve components but others with the same issue).

I'd first uninstall the compnent(s). Then, find where the IDE keeps its compiled files (DCUs, BPLs in delphi, not sure what they are in lazarus). Delete those files first and then try installing the component(s) again using Sergey's insturctions for lazarus.

Hope that helps.

Stan
PaccDB

Post by PaccDB »

Thank you. I hadn't thought to delete the compiled files after I uninstalled.

I'll give that a try!
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

Maybe the components are in the component palette, but you cannot find them?

There is no "RichViewActions" page on the component palette.
RichViewActions components are in the following pages.

TRVAControlPanel and TRVAPopupMenu are in "RichView" page.
Additional UI components included in RichvViewActions are in "RichView Misc" page.
Components for integration of different components in RichViewActions are in "RichView Interfaces" page.

To find a component in Lazarus, you can right click the component palette, choose "View All", and then search by name.
PaccDB

Post by PaccDB »

Thank you all, I really do appreciate your posts.
I've removed, and re-installed. Removed, and deleted all .o and .ppu files from the source, rebuilt Lazarus, and then reinstalled the component packages from the project group, one at a time--both as just clicking 'compile' and 'install', and doing a 'recompile clean' from the 'more' menu. I still end up with just TRichView, TRVStyle, and TRVPrint on the RichView palette. I can still use the demos normally, and I copied a TRVControlPanel into my personal project from one of the demos--so Lazarus knows what it is and can work with it just like I'd pulled it off the palette. So it should be there--it just isn't.

Since I was able to work with them, I had decided to just work with it this way for now. However, I needed to set up my coworker's PC.

His PC was setup with the components by copying the TRichView folder from my PC--and then installing the packages from the project group as noted in the help file. His RichView component palette lists; TRichView, TRVStyle, TRVPrint, TRichViewEdit, TRVOfficeConv, TRVPrintPreview, TRVReportHelper, TDBRichView, TDBRichViewEdit, TRVDataSourceLink, TRcHtmlImporter, TRVAControlPanel, TRVAPopupMenu, TRICHViewXML. Conversely, his RichViewMisc palette is empty, whereas, I presume mine lists everything it should. I've tried removing and reinstalling specific packages, and a complete do-over of the installation as well.

If I didn't mention it before, but these are both Window's 10 PCs with Lazarus 2.2.6/FPC 3.2.2.

I'm going to uninstall everything, delete the TRichView directory structure, and re-run the installer. Maybe something was overwritten in the files somewhere. Anyhow, thanks for your help so far, and if you have any additional thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry for my confusion. Have a great day!
PaccDB

Post by PaccDB »

I guess i'm an idiot. The short story is, there's a button to 'Restore Defaults' at the bottom of the 'Component Palette' IDE Options. Clicking that rearranged the palette tabs, but it also refreshed the palette contents and all the components were inserted.

Maybe they weren't showing up for me because I'd previously installed the LazRichEdit component (it did conflict with the TRichView components and had to be removed), or something else, but clicking that button probably would have fixed it without all the reinstalling.

Apologies for the confusion. Hopefully it will help someone else. (And if everyone already knew--thanks for listening anyhow. :) )