DBRichViewEdit.BackgroundBitmap vs PNG

General TRichView support forum. Please post your questions here
mwilems1

DBRichViewEdit.BackgroundBitmap vs PNG

Post by mwilems1 »

With D2009 supporting several image formats including PNG, is there a way to save the background image of a DBRichViewEdit as something other than a bitmap?

My database sits over a TCPIP socket in a central location with both a windows client and a browser client. The Windows client has problems saving detailed images because of the amount of time it takes to transfer the binary data in bitmap form.

I currently load images using a TPicture and redraw them to a TBitmap.Canvas.Draw(). This makes a very large chunk of data. Some images can be extremely large such as x-rays and MRI images.

Is there some other way to store a background in RVE? I need to allow for text to be typed over the images.
Sergey Tkachenko
Site Admin

Post by Sergey Tkachenko »

In the current version of TRichView, document backgrounds can be only bitmaps.
You can consider placing text in table and using table/cell background image (they can be of any graphic type).
Or do not store/transfer background image in document, store it separately as PNG.
mwilems1

Post by mwilems1 »

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

My users have the ability to create documents so to prevent confusion with my users, I will store backgrounds separately. This will also give me the ability to control size and aspect ratio to maintain the original proportions.

As future enhancements for background image,
1-the ability to store backgrounds in any format as in table backgrounds.
2-the ability to scale images and maintain height/width proportions so the image is not distorted.

Thanks again.